About Our School
The text below is reproduced with kind permission of Patrick Kirkby and Joan Priestly from their 1997 publication “1897-1997 Horrington… The history of a small Somerset school”. All material remains their copyright.
In the beginning…
Horrington Primary School started life as East Horrington C.E. School, next to the church of St. John in East Horrington, on land donated by the Marquis of Bath in 1838.
The building still exists as a private house but HMI severely criticised the state of the premises in 1885 and 1891. On 21st April 1897 the school was officially opened on its current site.
The school was intended to cater for 80 pupils but numbers reached the magic 100 on June 14th 1904!
Horrington Primary Today
Horrington Primary School was established on its present site over one hundred years ago in 1896. Our children aged 4+ to 11 years come from the villages of East, West and South Horrington, surrounding hamlets and from Wells. The school gained Academy Status in May 2013. There are around 120 children on roll.
Horrington Primary is very proud of its small village school ethos and of its important role in the life of the community. The school is privileged to have an immense amount of parental support in all aspects of its work.
The school has a rural setting overlooking the beautiful Mendip countryside. There are four classrooms, two of which are presently Elliot classrooms. The main building includes one classroom, two purpose built classrooms and the school hall. The school offices, staff room and pre-school rooms are in the School House. The school has a large playground, playing field, an early years’ play area with playhouse, an adventure playground and a brand new flexible outdoor learning space.
Most importantly though, it is the people in our school and the people supporting our school which makes it a secure, caring and happy learning environment for all our children.